Pages

Navigation Menu

Kai


Kai is a local artist – beat boxer, singer-song writer and vocal percussionist and tenor with the a cappella group Vocaluptuous. A believer in creating music through personal experience, Kai has earned himself multiple platforms to showcase his works at musicals, festivals and café gigs. His drive to be different and unique values in making music make him one talent to look out for.

Acoustic songs are general favourites. What made you decide to experiment with beat boxing in your compositions instead of going with what most artists typically work with? 
While I think the melody and lyrics are extremely important in any song, I feel very strongly about musical arrangements as well. In producing the EP, I was influenced by my background in a cappella music, arranging in layers and in certain keys or chords to give the music particular colours. My background in beat boxing also led me to explore different rhythms and incorporation of more electronic sounds.

Even though I categorise my music as acoustic indie-folk/pop/rock, they sound vastly different when I’m performing solo with guitar and vocals, versus the produced tracks because of the different elements involved in my arrangements, and that’s something I hope makes my music unique.


What is your motto when it comes to creating your own music?
In the interest of keeping my music completely independent, I took it upon myself to work on all facets of the album, from writing to performing, recording to producing, and that might well be my motto – that music can be highly personal and that I would like to retain as much creative direction as possible in the work which I put out.

This attitude has also impacted my outlook on music appreciation as I listen to a lot less mainstream music and instead choose to support excellent but less well-known local independent artists; since I know just how difficult it is to make it in the local scene.

One of your songs from the Beginnings EP, Masks, starts out slow but transits into a short beat box arrangement. What is the story behind this unexpected arrangement?


The songs from the EP are about relationships – not just romantic relationships but all sorts of interpersonal ones, and just how fragile they are.

Masks has a backstory deeply personal to me, which I tried to reflect both lyrically and musically. The beat box interlude which then progresses into musical chaos, incorporating more electronic influences like synthesised wobbling basslines and lead guitar riffs, followed by a sombre quiet thereafter, was intended to represent how this particular relationship was strained by disagreement. Metaphorically, Masks would feel something like waking up the morning after a massive argument being very unsure of oneself, and feeling a little regret.

With a wide variety of experience from café features, being involved in a production by Dream Academy and even teaching at beat boxing workshops, how different is each experience?  
Café features of course allow me to showcase my music to audience that tend to be more receptive since they willingly and readily attend original music nights.

Crazy Christmas 2013 by Dream Academy was definitely a memorable experience – working alongside renowned local entertainers, having a two week run at the Esplanade, and falling in love with the magic of musical theatre.

Teaching beatboxing workshops is also always enjoyable as I have a special interest in pedagogy and it’s just incredibly rewarding watching kids (mostly) learn a noisy and thoroughly useless skill.

Other memorable gigs include performing at the National Museum of Korea, doing the National Day Parade last year, collaborating with various musicians for a series which the Esplanade invited me to perform (Kai and Friends, 2014), judging the National A Cappella Championships Beatbox Battle this year, and so many others that it really is impossible to pinpoint just one favourite.


Given the rising exposure of independent music artists, has there been more support for your works from the local audience?
Perhaps several years ago, before the emergence of younger local independent musicians, it might have been more difficult to break into the scene.

Beat boxing is about percussion, rhythms, and is combined with vocal sound effects. I think it speaks to most of us on a level that transcends lyrics or musical background. People were very receptive towards it, but at the same time it was not really the kind of music which would draw long-term sustained support from the same listeners over and over again.

As an independent singer-songwriter now I am glad that my songs have been well received in the live-performance scene; friends and total strangers alike have been very kind in going out of their way to tell me how much they like the album, but there are still so many more venues I would love to play and so many more listeners I’d like to reach out to.


What are your hopes for the future?
I hope to be able to do my own music more often in the future. In the short term over the rest of this year, I will be involved with festivals including the Y2K14 International Live Looping Festival in California, where they invited me to perform as a Featured Performer at the main festival and in a select pre-festival concert entitled “Best of the Fest”, as well as the Singapore Night Festival, Singapore Live Looping Festival, International A Cappella Festival 2014, and a bunch of other upcoming gigs, which with a little luck will enable me to do music most of the time!