Pages

Navigation Menu

Passion | Vocation


Wallflowers Mag is proud to present our new series, Passion | Vocation, where we trace the creative lives of people whose passions have not been diluted by their vocations, and for some even exist in perfect tandem with their vocations. In a world where money seems to be the driving force of humanity, passion is often cast aside as something one pursues in their spare time, or is only available as a livelihood for a fortunate few. As such, when we come across people who manage to combine their passions with their vocations, or pursue their passions with such intensity despite a seemingly contrasting vocation, it strikes a chord in our souls as we dream for such courage and, ultimately, passion, to chase such a path.

---

#1

The Fabric Tavern


Hey Daryl! I was really intrigued when I saw your Instagram, TheFabricTavern, and I feel it's a really interesting initiative. Singapore's sense of fashion might often limited due to our humid weather, so this is something pretty fresh and new.

Tell us about the story behind The Fabric Tavern. Why did you choose this name, and what inspired you to begin this initiative?

I spent a few nights cracking my brains over what to name it and decided to name it The Fabric Tavern. I will further explain the reason for that name later on! I would like to clarify that I am not selling any clothes at this point of time and neither do I have a website for it. It actually started when my mother noticed that the guys in Singapore tend to dress down a lot. She suggested that I start an Instagram account in hopes of inspiring Singaporean men to dress better. Personally, I am not fashionable at all, and neither do I follow any trends. I wear what I feel like wearing and my circle of friends seem to think I have a pretty good sense of dressing. That being said, I do understand that it is difficult to dress up due to the hot weather. I simply became accustomed to wearing layers of clothes despite the weather. 


Now, what exactly is The Fabric Tavern? I've been using the word 'initiative' a lot, but are you a blogshop model? How would you describe what The Fabric Tavern is all about?

The Fabric Tavern is all about inspiring Singaporean men to dress up more often. It is actually one of my goals in life that led me to naming it the Fabric Tavern. I would like to open my own shop in the years to come selling my own label of dapper clothing for men. In the olden days, a tavern usually meant a place where people find lodging as well as have a drink. My shop would be place for people to buy good quality menswear and have a good beer afterwards. Therefore, The Fabric (clothing) Tavern.

I am in no way a blogshop model nor do I feel that I have a very good sense of fashion. If people happen to pop by my Instagram account and like the way I carry myself in terms of my dress sense, they are free to replicate my style. 



When did you begin on this journey and what have been your biggest motivators throughout this process?

I began this journey just a couple of months ago and it has been fun. It will get more exciting in the months and years to come when I have my own label and shop! I am actually a financial adviser, and as it is my main career, it poses one of the biggest challenges I face- to find time and to have my photos taken. 

My biggest motivation to continue and grow The Fabric Tavern is my mother. She is excited for me and hopes that I can turn this into my own label of clothing and eventually open up a "Tavern" selling menswear. 

Thank you for giving me this opportunity of sharing my journey so far. Do look out for more style and photos at The Fabric Tavern in the weeks to come!

Check out Daryl’s dapper sense of style here