Pages

Navigation Menu

Raquel Ang and Crème Berry


Raquel Ang was not born a baker. She started baking just for the fun of it and learned to do so from many failures, a cheap cake mixer and oven. Now that she is an accomplished baker with her own brand, Crème Berry, she encourages her friends to bake even if they don’t have expensive equipment because she believes that what is important is the process of baking. Raquel is also a freelance designer who majors in graphic design and advertising.


How did Crème Berry come about? What inspired you to start your own creative dessert company? 
The objective of Crème Berry is simple - to share with everyone some of my favourite desserts at social functions and gatherings. Some of these include crème brûlée (hence the name), fruit tartlets, and macarons, just to name a few. Crème Berry’s very first dessert table was completed when I was planning for my engagement party in 2012. I really liked the idea of desserts being served as pre-party food; it is a natural ice-breaker! 

The dessert table was a blast at the engagement party and all the guests enjoyed it very much. After much encouragement from my friends and family, I started researching and making plans and Crème Berry is the product!

There is surely more to your creations than just baking. What are some of the processes you go through to come up with them? 
Yes, it is not just about baking and placing desserts on the table for consumption. Besides simply serving desserts, I also keep in mind the importance of making desserts look presentable and aligned with the theme of a party or event. I get my inspiration from numerous food stylists, food blogs, cookbooks, Pinterest and Instagram while injecting a touch of my personal style in the decorations. 

I try to visualise what my customers see in their minds when they approach me. I also imagine how their guests will react to the desserts and try my best to set up a beautiful dessert table. A dessert table like that never fails to complete a party.

How do you incorporate art into baking? 
I have been an art student and freelance graphic designer for more than 10 years and my experience helps me in my decorating the desserts. I also have a lot of fun with colours and patterns when setting up a dessert table. 

It is amazing how fondant cakes can look as good as a piece of art work with its intricate designs, patterns, figurines and piped cream. Sometimes, I experiment with unique shapes and colours. Recently, I am making tri-coloured macarons by working with contrasting colours to make these sweets stand out in an array of other desserts. 

Are there any stories behind some of your creations? 
I cannot really say that there is a specific story behind any of my creations. Most of them were created from random bouts of creativity, curiosity, extra time and a lot of time… the perks of being a designer, I think. 

What are some of your favourite Crème Berry products? 
The macaron is one of my favourites! It is a hit with customers, too, and photos of my macarons often spread far and wide on social media. In terms of taste, I love all products with lemon. I love the lemon macrons, lemon curd meringue tarts and the lemonade. And of course, I love Crème brûlée, one of the reasons why everything fell in place. 


What will you recommend to new customers? If a customer lets you have free reign of the dessert table, what will you do? 
I would definitely recommend some of our most popular desserts that will never go wrong. These include the assorted macarons, Crème brûlée, assorted mini cupcakes, marshmallow pops and tartlets. I would also recommend a simplistic and modern theme that features both the desserts and the elegance of the event. 

If I had free reign, customers will find a macaron tower and more exotic and assorted flavours on their dessert table. I would also challenge myself to outdo the decoration. I actually accomplish a lot more when customers really believe in me and give me complete freedom.

Any challenges or obstacles that you might have faced while running Crème Berry? What have you gained along the way? 
Some obstacles faced while running Crème Berry are problems with transportation, lack of manpower and increasing competition in the market. However, I have learnt to make the best out of any situation. Hence, even if it means that I have to work overnight without sleep, I will hang on just to present the best to my customers. 

Over the years, I have also learnt a lot more about desserts in general, food styling and photography and even made a few friends who were initially customers. I am really happy that I constantly receive compliments and support from my customers and Crème Berry’s followers on social media. Social media stars are also starting to find out about Crème Berry and collaborating with me, allowing me to build its name. I am truly grateful for the new friendships formed- providing good service and creating customer relations is never easy. Crème Berry and I are still growing and learning, slowly and steadily and I am thankful for any kind of support I have received all these years.


Find Crème Berry: cremeberry.com
Find Raquel: instagram.com/raquelang